6614565.pdf 1,27MB
1000 Titel
  • Healthcare Waste Status and Handling Practices during COVID-19 Pandemic in Tepi General Hospital, Ethiopia
1000 Autor/in
  1. Mekonnen, Besufekad |
  2. solomon, nahom |
  3. Wondimu, Wondimagegn |
1000 Erscheinungsjahr 2021
1000 Publikationstyp
  1. Artikel |
1000 Online veröffentlicht
  • 2021-02-01
1000 Erschienen in
1000 Quellenangabe
  • 2021:6614565
1000 Copyrightjahr
  • 2021
1000 Lizenz
1000 Verlagsversion
  • |
1000 Publikationsstatus
1000 Begutachtungsstatus
1000 Sprache der Publikation
1000 Abstract/Summary
  • BACKGROUND: Mismanagement of healthcare waste (HCW) during the COVID-19 pandemic can facilitate the transmission of coronavirus. Regarding this problem, there is gap of evidence in Ethiopia, and this study aimed to assess the HCW generation rate and management in Tepi General Hospital, southwest Ethiopia. METHODS: Institution-based cross-sectional and case studies were conducted. The total amount of waste generated and its type among various case teams were compared using the Kruskal–Wallis test. Spearman’s rank correlation coefficient (r) was used to assess the correlation between the total numbers of patients and the total amount of HCW generated. Qualitative data were transcribed verbatim, translated to English, and analyzed with Open Code version 4.02 software, and content analysis was followed. RESULTS: The total mean weight (±SD) of waste generation rate in all service units of the hospital was 492.5 ± 11.5 kg/day. The higher proportion (61.9%) of the total HCW produced was general waste and the remaining (38.1%) was hazardous waste. There was a statistically significant (X2 = 82.1, p < 0.001) difference in daily HCW generation rate among different case teams. Similarly, the hospital waste generation amount and total patient flow had a strong positive linear relationship (r=0.7, p p = 0.032). COVID-19-related medical wastes were not properly handled, segregated, stored, and disposed. There was a scarcity of resources needed to manage HCW, and available resources were utilized poorly. Overall, healthcare wastes were managed as usual (pre-COVID-19). CONCLUSION: The mean HCW generation rate in Tepi General Hospital was high. Overall, wastes were mismanaged, and COVID-19-related HCWs have been managed as usual. Availing of important resources and training the concerned bodies should be considered during the crisis of COVID-19.
1000 Sacherschließung
gnd 1206347392 COVID-19
1000 Fächerklassifikation (DDC)
1000 Liste der Beteiligten
1000 (Academic) Editor
1000 Label
1000 Fördernummer
  1. -
1000 Förderprogramm
  1. -
1000 Dateien
1000 Objektart article
1000 Beschrieben durch
1000 @id frl:6425460.rdf
1000 Erstellt am 2021-02-02T15:03:44.958+0100
1000 Erstellt von 122
1000 beschreibt frl:6425460
1000 Bearbeitet von 122
1000 Zuletzt bearbeitet Tue Feb 02 15:05:04 CET 2021
1000 Objekt bearb. Tue Feb 02 15:04:42 CET 2021
1000 Vgl. frl:6425460
1000 Oai Id
  1. |
1000 Sichtbarkeit Metadaten public
1000 Sichtbarkeit Daten public
1000 Gegenstand von

View source